Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Fast Food. Value at what cost?

I don't feel that this article will break ground in suggesting that fast food restaurants are not healthy. I myself have not eaten any fast food in nearly five years. Compared to my prior consumption of McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, and Taco Bell a couple times a week, it is an impressive feat. Since I became aware of the troubles that fast food has caused I have heard an anecdote that made me cringe and I am ecstatic to share it with you now.

Fast Food is filled with preservatives:
When visiting Vancouver a couple months ago I had the pleasure of tacking a ride in Sanji's taxi to the airport. While on the way we passed a sign for the Shrek, McDonalds promotion. As usual I made an off the cuff comment about how fitting it was an Ogre would eat their product. Sanji laughed and then proceeded to tell me this story about one of his recent passengers.

Bob was visiting Canada for the first time in this winter and found McDonalds and fast food to be a novelty of sorts. After purchasing two burgers off the dollar menu he ate one and put the second in his pocket, for later on. Well as it turns out later on became a year. As the seasons began to change he went back and put on his coat finding the second burger in his pocket. As he slowly opened the wrapper expecting the worse, worse than he expected actually happened. The burger wasn't moldy or infested, it was in perfect condition. The meat, the pickles, the ketchup, the bun, everything.

If it takes that long to decompose I can only imagine how long it takes your body to break it down. If only there was some sort of Food or even Drug Administration to regulate the fast food industry. Well then things would really be great.



Zack
Co-Owner
Http://www.gimme20.com

No comments: