Thursday, October 25, 2007

Run Towards the Light

Fitness shouldn't be forceful. Fitness should be a welcomed part of your day, week, month, year. Running is a necessary part to this equation and last weekend I realized how unfit I truly was. While the weather was perfect I decided to get up and run along the boardwalk in Hoboken. Here you will find one of the most picturesque backgrounds not to mention lots of motivation. Being the weekend warrior I have become I went out and did 3 miles cold turkey. Impressive until Sunday morning when the pain kicked in. My fitness goal had been achieved. My health, in trouble. What I realized on my journey was the value and importance of where ever you decide to venture. Three miles did feel like three miles. It felt more like from my apartment to the water and back. Could you imagine running on a treadmill for three miles. I know when I did it, it was just counting down until the time I could stop. Not motivating, not invigorating, and most importantly not fun. Trails, parks and sports are great ways to disguise the running needed to stay in shape.
The only thing I have going for me is the two and a half mile walk I do everyday to and from work but this will only carry me so far. Doctor's insist ten thousand a day will keep you well within your fitness goals. Truthfully it is all about adjustment. Everyday you need to push yourself a little further and a little harder or else your body adapts to the point of no improvement. Fitness isn't easy otherwise everyone would do it and nothing easy is worth doing. Listen to some music, lace up the nikes and you will be right back where you started in just under an hour.

No comments: